Posted on June 18th, 2008
|The day began too early for me. I woke up at 9:17 AM and needed to use the bathroom. My dad meanwhile has made camp in the bathroom. Thus I waited about 45 minutes to use the loo. At that point, I was awake and just gave up and got up, figuring mom and I would run the errand around 10:30 AM or so.
The plan for the morning changed without my knowledge however, and though I waited to go, we never went. I'd understood "we will go tomorrow" as "we WILL go tomorrow" while mom understood that phrase as "we may or may not go tomorrow" and decided not to go. I only got about 6 hours sleep, so this misunderstanding didn't do much for my mood this morning.
I spent the day at the computer. I had a simple idea for Din, but I didn't know if it was a good one or not. I decided to use already existing features to test the idea -- everything I was going to do was already shown to work. This ended up malfunctioning. The next 5 hours were spent trying to figure out what was going wrong (in theory, everything should have worked seamlessly). I finally managed to diagnose the problem as memory corruption, and about 2 hours later fixed the bug. Now the code runs like it's supposed to. And now I can benchmark this trick. In the end it's about 40 ms faster than doing things the previous way; so this new feature looks like a good idea.
I also spent around 30 minutes trying an idea with Lazarus that simply segfaulted itself to death. Also, when I went to look up something on the Lazarus site I was stopped with this message: "This web site at www.lazarus.freepascal.org has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences."
In other words, Google's blacklisted it as a site that installs malware on your computer without your consent. I guess my opinion about the usefulness of the toolkit is rather wide-spread.
My only link for today is an older Userfriendly comic about disruptive noise. With that I'm off to bed, hopefully for a decent number of hours.