I finally understand
Posted on January 27th, 2008
Oy vey.

Today began with the dialog window I wanted to code. That went fairly smoothly. In fact, there's a function in the Windows API that does something nifty I was going to code by hand. I made a few dozen other tweaks and wrote the code to generate the largest image the program will require.

Then I began work on Thingy 2.0 and things went straight to heck from there. I got what I want working using Javascript. The code in Opera, Firefox, and presumably all standards compliant browsers. Most Javascript veterians are going to already know what the problem is. Namely, Internet Explorer and it's Javascript bastard child called JScript. My code doesn't run on IE, and throws up errors instead. After a few hours of recoding, testing and troubleshooting I discovered that the line that the error message claims is the problem ISN'T the line with the problem. Several more hours later I gave up trying Javascript and starting looking for other options, up to and including Frames. I finally found the answer late in the day. There's a CSS setting that I've never heard of that provides the desired behavior on all browsers.

After today's fight with IE, I can finally understand sites like this. Everyone BUT IE supports the standards.

Today's sole link is very approriate. Net Disaster allows you to inflict various nasty things on any website. For example, have a cow crap on MS
MENU




- NAVIGATION -
Most recent posts
Previous Post
Next Post

- ARCHIVES -

2018
2017
2016
2015
2014
2013
2012
2011
2010
2009
2008
2007

- FOLLOW -

RSS
LJ Feed

Contact

List of UGuardian's Websites